Properties of acids and bases
- Get 8 test tubes. Rinse all tubes well with water. Add acid to four tubes, base to the other four.
- Touch a drop of base to your finger. Record the feel in the chart (on the next slide). Wash your hands with water. Repeat for acid.
- Use a stirring rod, add base to the litmus and pH papers (for pH paper use a colour key to find a number). Record results. Repeat for acid.
- Into the four base tubes add: a) two drops of phenolphthalein, b) 2 drops of bromothymol, c) a piece of Mg, d) a small scoop of baking soda. Record results. Repeat for acid.
- Clean up (wash tubes, pH/litmus paper in trash).